study in korea
Study in Korea FAQback
  • 1. I want to study in Korea.
    • For general admission about Korean universities, it requires Korean language proficiency certificate, TOPIK(Test of Proficiency in Korean) level 3(intermediate level) or above to get accepted except for English exclusive schools. For details of TOPIK, please visit the official website.(

      If you are looking for a certain field of study or a university, you may visit our website to search by following steps; - University&College - University&College to search Korean universities with various options (regions, major study, dormitory, English exclusive lectures, scholarships, etc.) and then ask the admission for international students directly from that university, since each university has different admission standard and requirements.

      The general admission period of Korean universities for Spring is between September to November, and for Fall, it is between May to June. The exact application period may start at different times depending on universities, thus it is important to check application schedules and deadlines in advance.
  • 2. I want to learn Korean language.
    • The Korean language course usually has 4 semesters and it starts every 3 months (or 10 weeks) and also available for short-term course (vacation, 3 weeks, 6 weeks). Tuition per semester costs about US$1,200~$1,500; however it depends on each language institution, thus you need to contact the language institution directly.
      You can search a Korean language institution offered by each university by visiting following link
      The tuition and living cost are different by each institution and you can choose your language institution based on your option. The language course contains the program which students can experience the diverse Korean culture. You can also ask admission information directly to the staff in the admission office for international students in your desired language institution.
  • 3. How can I register the TOPIK?
    • The Test of Proficiency in Korean(TOPIK) is held six times a year (in January, March, April, July, October and November) and the yearly test schedule is notified on the TOPIK website at the beginning of every year. The levels are divided into I and II: beginner level for TOPIK I (Levels 1 and 2), advanced level for TOPIK II (Levels 3, 4, 5 and 6). For more information about the test, please refer to the TOPIK website.You can register through the official website and also contact the TOPIK department to ask help.
      - Website:
      - Contact number: +82-2-3668-1331
  • 4. Can I transfer to a Korean university?
    • If you are applying for a transfer student, you should contact the desired university directly, since each university has different admission standard and requirements. For general information of transfer applicants must meet one of the following Nationality/Academic requirements below

      a. Both the applicant and the applicant’s parents are of non-Korean nationality. The applicant must have completed regular secondary education and at least two full academic years (four semesters) in a degree program at a regular four-year university or in an equivalent Bachelor’s degree program. Transfer students will be admitted as junior (third-year) students.

      b. An applicant of non-Korean nationality who has completed regular primary and secondary education and at least two full academic years (four semesters) in a degree program at a regular four-year university or in an equivalent bachelor’s degree program outside of Korea. Transfer students will be admitted as junior (third-year) students (Non-Korean applicants with Korean parent(s)).
      ※ In the case of two or three-year colleges, only those applicants who have graduated (or are expected to graduate) from a regular school curriculum can apply to transfer.
  • 5. I would like to know universities that teach in English.
    • You may visit our website to search English exclusive schools by following steps; - University&College - Search University&College to search Korean universities with the option to select English exclusive lectures for “Yes” and then contact the desired university directly to ask further information of admission for international students, since each university has different admission standard and requirements.
  • 6. I would like to know about student visas in Korea.
    • i) Student visa (D-2)
      A foreigner who desires to receive a regular course of education (undergraduate, graduate, Ph.D.) or to research in a specific area at a two-year college, university, or graduate school (including evening graduate school), established by the Higher Education Act, or at an academic research institute established and regulated by the Special Act (must be higher education than a two-year college).
      ii) Korean-Language Trainee (D-4-1)
      Anyone wants to enroll for a regular Korean study program (only recognizing regular daytime courses) at language school at university level.
      ※ For further information, please contact directly to the Korea Immigration Service.
      - Website:
      - Contact: 1345 without the area code
  • 7. Can I receive counselling in a language other than Korean?
    • The Student Service Center of NIIED provides counselling service for international students in 7 different languages.
      English, Korean: Monday~Friday 9:00~18:00,
      Chinese, Korean: Monday~Friday 9:00~18:00,
      Vietnamese: Monday 13:00~18:00,
      French: Friday 13:00~18:00,
      Russian: Tuesday 13:00~18:00,
      Mongolian: Thursday 13:00~18:00,
  • 8. I want to get a job in Korea.
    • Please visit our website to check “Careers in Korea” section. ( - Careers in Korea - Job Openings)
      The Job Fair for International Students is held annually in Korea co-operate with NIIED and KOTRA. Please visit the website to check detailed information of the fair. ( You may also visit the website for “ContactKorea” to check job opportunities. (
  • 1. I want to know more about KGSP scholarship programs.
    • If you are interested in scholarship programs offered by NIIED, you can refer to 2015 Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP) for graduate degree course guidelines (currently post #72) and 2016 KGSP for undergraduate degrees (#76 and #77) and associate degrees (#79) on the Studyinkorea website, - Scholarships - Notice to search for information on the relevant degree course guidelines.

      Please download all attached documents as well as guidelines and read it thoroughly to understand eligibility and application procedures. This program includes 1 year of language courses for undergraduate, associate and graduate degree courses.

      You may also visit our website to check GKS (Global Korea Scholarship) and other scholarship programs for international students. - Scholarships - search under Government Scholarships
  • 2. When is the application period for KGSP?
    • The KGSP for undergraduate and associate degree courses is announced once a year around September to select scholars for next March (spring semester) and the KGSP for graduate degrees is announced in February to select scholars for the following September (fall semester). Please download and check detailed information from the relevant guidelines.
  • 3. Do you have a scholarship program for exchange students?
    • To be eligible for a Korean government Support Program as a Foreign Exchange Student, you need to be recommended by one of the Korean universities. If you are planning to study in one of the Korean universities, you can ask the staff members in the exchange program of the university whether they could recommend you to be a Korean government Support Program for Foreign Exchange Student or not, since NIIED only evaluates the exchange students who are recommended by a Korean university.
  • 4. Do you have a scholarship program for those taking only Korean language courses?
    • Unfortunately NIIED does not provide a scholarship program to those taking only Korean language courses. The Korea Foundation (KF) organizes the Korean Language Training Fellowship program for international students.
      - Program Information:
      - Application Portal:
  • 5. Can I get some information on scholarship programs other than KGSP?
    • Please visit our website to check scholarship programs from other institutions in Korea. - Scholarships - Other institutions/ University scholarships
  • 6. Do you have a scholarship programs for high school students?
    • NIIED is a government institution focused on organizing government scholarships and training programs for international students primarily for university/college students. We do have Korea-Japan Educational Exchange Program which is for high school students.
      For high school students, you may contact the Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education or contact the high school where you wish to study directly.
      - Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education Website:
  • 1. lost my password for my account on the Study in Korea website.
    • Please send us your user ID, name and email address used when you registered for the website to and the system manager will issue a temporary password to access the account. Please change your password after log in with the temporary password.
  • 2. I can’t print the application form from the website.
    • Please send the information below to us and we will check your application form through the system and send you a pdf.
      - Information: Application number, Name and Email address
  • 3. I can’t access the website for online application process.
    • Please send the email to explaining and/or showing thecaptured error page. The system manager will solve your concern as soon as possible.